Sidney's Picks: Striking Hoppers, Missing Immigrants
Trash bags awaiting pickup on Bourbon Street in New Orleans, where sanitation workers known as hoppers are striking for a living wage. For illustration only. By Tony Webster, Creative Commons.
- The garbage workers of New Orleans continue their strike because Black lives matter. (Discourse Blog)
- The Trump administration had a naturalization ceremony at the RNC, but they disenfranchised up to 300,000 people by delaying their ceremonies until after the election. (WaPo)
- Unionized professional athletes are striking to protest police brutality and teaching a lesson about the power of labor. (Nation)
- Armed right-wing extremists stormed the Idaho state legislature, pushing past police and shattering a glass door to pack the gallery. (NPR)
- Detroit’s embattled nursing home workers delay their strike, despite the urgent needs of their membership. (Dissent)