2022 Hillman Prize Nominations
The Call for Entries for the 2022 Hillman Prizes is now open. The deadline is January 30, 2022. There is no fee to enter.
Please click the box at the bottom of this page to enter. You will see category-specific instructions as well as a textbox to enter your cover letter. You may upload files, provide URL’s and/or mail copies to our office but you must fill out the form or we will not have a record of your entry.
Categories are as follows:
1. Book (bound volumes and ebooks)
2. Newspaper Journalism (story or series/in print or online)
3. Magazine Journalism (story or series/in print or online)
4. Broadcast Journalism (story/series/documentary at least 20 minutes in total package length that has aired on television, radio or podcast)
5. Web Journalism (story, series or multimedia project, which appeared online and may include text, photo, video, graphics)
6. Opinion & Analysis Journalism (commentary and analysis in any medium)
The contest is open to journalists and subjects globally, although work must have been intended for and be widely accessible to a U.S. audience. You may nominate your own work or someone else’s. You may apply on your own, or be entered by your organization.
Winners will be announced in April 2022. Hillman Prize winners will be awarded a $5,000 honorarium and a certificate at an event to be held in person, in New York City, on May 3, 2022 (if the status of pandemic restrictions allow).
You can see previous winners here.
Since 1950, the Sidney Hillman Foundation has honored journalists, writers and public figures that pursue investigative journalism and public policy in service of the common good. Sidney Hillman was the founding president of the Amalgamated Clothing Workers of America, a predecessor union of Workers United, SEIU. Sidney Hillman, an architect of the New Deal, fought to build a vibrant union movement extending beyond the shop floor to all aspects of working people’s lives.